When it comes to convenience, the rideshare concept has helped significantly in many areas of the country, and Uber is leading the way. Now that we can get around with the touch of an app, we aren’t looking back.
Unfortunately, however, Uber accidents in South Windsor are on the rise, and Uber claims tend to be quite complicated (for a variety of reasons). If an Uber driver’s negligence leaves you injured in an accident, it’s time to consult with a dedicated auto accident attorney.
Uber Drivers And Complicating Factors
There are a variety of factors that tend to make Uber accidents in South Windsor more likely, including:
- Uber drivers are often required to drive in areas in which they are not familiar.
- Uber drivers are part of the gig economy, which can translate to putting more hours behind the wheel than it is safe to do so.
- Uber drivers make frequent stops and must pull in and out of traffic on a regular basis – all while searching for passengers or drop-off locations – which leaves them more vulnerable to accidents.
- Uber drivers, by necessity, must interact with the Uber app while behind the wheel, which can be a form of distraction.
Uber drivers have a lot on their plate, and all of this going on in tandem can increase the risk of an accident happening.
Complicated Insurance Claims
Another matter that makes South Windsor Uber accident claims different from other car accident claims is the matter of insurance. The fact is that your Uber driver is not employed by Uber but is, instead, a contract worker, which helps protect Uber from liability. However, the law requires Uber to provide coverage in certain situations.
If you are injured by an Uber driver’s negligence, your claim will likely proceed as follows:
- If you are a passenger of the Uber driver or the Uber driver has a passenger (or is on the way to pick a passenger up), Uber’s insurance coverage, which is quite comprehensive, is responsible for your claim.
- If the Uber driver is on the app but has no passenger (either in the car or waiting to be picked up), Uber’s coverage will only come into play if the driver’s own personal insurance coverage is tapped out.
- If the Uber driver is not on the Uber app (even if he or she has just toggled off briefly), the driver’s own insurance coverage is responsible for covering your claim.
Because Uber drivers are part of the gig economy and only earn money when they have passengers, many drivers work for multiple rideshare companies, which can leave them spread very thin when it comes to safety.
Look To An Experienced South Windsor Uber Accident Attorney For The Help You Need
If you’ve been injured in an Uber accident, the seasoned South Windsor Uber accident attorneys at Berman & Russo have the experience and legal insight to help. We have been in the business of helping clients like you for more than three decades, and as natives of Connecticut ourselves, we take great pride in doing so. Our focus is on taking the pressure off you while skillfully advocating for your claim’s optimal outcome. To schedule your free initial consultation, please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us today.