The law office of Berman & Russo offers legal representation in Harford, Connecticut, for clients involved in many different types of personal injury and transportation accidents. Mass transit accidents can include school transportation accidents, bus accidents, and train accidents.
Millions of passengers travel on the Connecticut Statewide Bus System. Injuries that occur on buses and trains can involve many different parties who may be liable for the losses of victims. If you have been injured in one of these events, the South Windsor mass transit lawyers at Berman & Russo can help you understand which parties may be liable for your injuries.
Passenger Train Accidents And Commuter Rail Accidents
Connecticut residents use the Shore Line East rail line and the Metro-North New Haven rail line every day as modes of transportation. These rail lines operate in a dependable manner and do not often pose a risk of serious bodily injury to passengers. Sometimes, however, an accident or derailment will cause serious bodily injury or even death to passengers.
Public transportation can sometimes be caused by one of the following factors:
- Distracted conductors or operators using cell phones or other electronic devices while operating a passenger vehicle
- Operators driving a passenger vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Operators who are fatigued and who fall asleep while operating a passenger vehicle
- Damaged tracks or improperly maintained tracks
- Damaged equipment and malfunctioning equipment
- Power lines or debris obstructing the path of a passenger vehicle
- Improperly switched lines
As a South Windsor attorney could attest, mass transit accidents injure many passengers, and this is especially true if the passenger vehicle is overcrowded or features inadequate seating.
The Bridgeport & Port Jefferson Steamboat Company carries passengers to Bridgeport, Connecticut, and Port Jefferson, New York. Ferry accidents occuring in Connecticut and are often caused by one or more of the following events:
- An operator failing to use caution in dangerous weather
- An operator piloting the vessel under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Vehicles not being secured on the ferry in a safe manner
- Striking a dock while traveling at a high rate of speed
- Not docking in a safe and proper manner
- Colliding with another vessel or buoy
- Automobiles sliding off the ferry and into the water
Ferry accidents can injur individuals and property. Some injured victims may drown during ferry accidents because they are unable to swim or are affected by injuries. The South Windsor attorneys at Berman & Russo in South Windsor, Connecticut, can help you if you or a loved one has suffered bodily injury during a mass transit accident.
Connecticut School Transportation Accidents And Bus System Accidents
Bus accidents are much more common than train derailments or other forms of train accidents. The Connecticut Statewide Bus System provides public transportation across the state of Connecticut, and the Greater Bridgeport Transit system offers public bus transportation in the following areas: Milford, Westport, Norwalk, Monroe, Derby, Shelton, Stratford, Fairfield, Trumbull, and Bridgeport.
Connecticut’s 149 school districts contract with bus companies and independent operators to transport students. School bus accidents are often caused by one of the following factors:
- Operators failing to drive in a cautious manner during extreme weather events involving snow, ice, and flooding waters
- Operators failing to use road safety protocols by not coming to complete stops or switching lanes without using a turn signal
- Operators driving passenger vehicles while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Operators who text while driving or use a cell phone or other electronic device while operating a passenger vehicle
- Operators driving while fatigued
- Operators driving at excessive speeds during dangerous road conditions
Do I Need A Lawyer For A Mass Transit Accident Case?
Yes. While mass transit accidents result in most of the same injuries as crashes involving private motor vehicles, that’s where the similarities end. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a South Windsor mass transit accident, you will need legal guidance from an attorney with ample experience dealing with these unique aspects of mass transit accidents:
- Suing the government – Local and state government agencies own and operate many mass transit vehicles. Suing these government entities is very different from suing private entities. Injured victims must follow specific filing requirements and meet tight deadlines or lose their right to recover compensation. Our South Windsor mass transit accident attorney knows how government claims work and is prepared to pursue maximum compensation on your behalf. Even if the liable party is a private company, you will still be up against massive insurance providers and their lawyers.
- Evidence collection – Government and private inspectors will quickly respond to the scene and gather evidence following the mass transit accident. These people are not on your side. When you work with our South Windsor mass transit accident attorney, we will collect the evidence to prove fault and liability for your injuries and related losses.
- Settlement negotiations – Settlement negotiations involving private companies are hard enough, but those involving government agencies can be more challenging. They can leverage the law and their resources to deny claims or reduce the compensation of injured victims. We know how settlement negotiations work and have the resources and experience to move your case to trial if necessary.
What Are Common Injuries In Mass Transit Accidents?
Mass transit accident victims usually suffer the following injuries:
Passengers, motorists, pedestrians, and other mass transit accident victims must receive medical attention immediately. Otherwise, you risk exacerbating your injuries and hurting your claim. Our lawyers can also help you file a claim for wrongful death if a family member died in a mass transit accident.
What Damages Can I Recover In A Mass Transit Accident?
The mass transit accident attorneys at Berman & Russo will do everything possible to get you the full value of your claim. We will seek all available damages to cover your losses, which can include the following:
- Economic damages – The amount of money your injuries and related expenses cost you, including past and future costs, such as medical bills, lost earnings, and diminished earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages – These include monetary compensation for physical and mental pain and suffering, mental anguish, reduced quality of life, trauma, disfigurement, and other emotional injuries that negatively affect your life.
- Punitive damages – If the at-fault party acted with malicious intent and wanton disregard, we may also seek punitive damages to penalize them.
Contact a South Windsor Mass Transit Accident Attorney
Contact Berman & Russo today to schedule a free consultation. We can help you understand which parties may be liable for a mass transit accident during which you suffered serious bodily injury. Our experienced South Windsor mass transit accident lawyers can help you preserve your legal rights by representing you with skill and candor.