Most car crashes happen in an instant and without any warning, causing physical injuries, financial problems, and emotional turmoil for injured victims. From minor crashes to serious, life-changing crashes, a car accident can affect a person’s physical and financial health. Car accident victims can file a claim to recoup compensation from the at-fault party that caused the accident and hold them liable for their negligence.
If you’ve been hurt or lost someone in a car crash, you don’t have to handle the aftermath alone. The Coventry car accident lawyers at Berman & Russo have over 30 years of experience protecting injured people’s best interests and legal rights.
Common Types Of Car Accidents And Their Causes
There are various kinds of car accidents that lead to serious injuries for which injured victims seek compensation. These include:
- Rear-End Crashes – These accidents typically occur when one driver is following a leading vehicle too closely, driving distractedly, or if the leading vehicle is parked or stopped at a red light or stop sign and the driver behind is speeding, drunk, or otherwise distracted. Rear-end crashes usually lead to whiplash, facial injuries, head injuries, and spinal cord damage.
- Sideswipe Collisions – When going on and off highways or changing lanes, a sideswipe crash can occur when a driver is speeding or driving recklessly. When these crashes occur at high speeds, drivers and passengers can suffer devastating injuries.
- T-Bone Crashes – These usually occur at intersections when a driver speeds through a stop sign or red light. T-bone collisions can involve severe injuries, including broken bones, back injuries, and traumatic brain injuries, among many others.
- Rollover Accidents – Rollovers can result from a driver hitting another vehicle or a stationary object, such as fences, road construction debris, lampposts, or others, and end with the vehicle flipping or rolling over.
- Head-On Crashes – These kinds of accidents usually result in severe injuries or death. Head-on collisions are typically caused by drowsy drivers, speeding drivers, and drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
While most car crashes result from the careless or negligent acts of drivers, some may also result from dangerous roadway conditions. In such cases, the private entity or government agency responsible for maintaining the dangerous roadway could be held accountable for the losses of the injured person. Defective vehicles or parts can also lead to car accidents. If this is the case, the injured person may be held liable.
No matter the type of car accident, our Coventry car accident attorneys can help people injured in car crashes recover the compensation they are entitled to under the law.
Common Car Accident Damages
Our Coventry car accident attorney routinely helps injured people recoup various forms of damages to help them deal with all the financial, emotional, and physical damages they have suffered, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses, including laboratory and medical tests, emergency services, medications, hospitalization, physical therapy, doctors’ visits, and any future medical costs
- Lost earnings
- Reduced or lost earning capacity
- Property damage
The compensation amount that injured people can recover varies from one case to another, but more severe injuries typically come with larger settlements. That being said, the best way to find out how much a person can receive is to discuss their case with legal representation.
How To Deal With Insurance Providers
When dealing with insurers, people must be very careful of what they say about their injuries and the crash. The insurer’s top priority is to avoid paying more money than they need to, meaning that they’ll do anything they can to reduce or deny people’s claims. When talking to insurers, injured people should do the following to increase their chances of recovering the full value of their claim:
- Stick to the basic facts. Do not give any opinions about what occurred. Only state the facts about the crash, such as where and when it happened, and the contact information of the people involved.
- Don’t talk about any pre-existing medical issues or injuries. Insurance claims adjusters can and will use whatever tactics they can to reduce the compensation amount or deny a claim. If an injured claimant mentions an injury or illness they had prior to the accident, the claims adjuster will blame their condition on their pre-existing injury or illness instead of the car accident.
- Never answer questions that you don’t know the answers to. It’s always better to say you don’t can’t remember or know the answer than to give insurers inaccurate or incomplete information.
- Don’t give recorded statements without talking to an attorney first. The claims adjuster will try to record your statement or make you sign paperwork related to your claim. But once you provide a written or recorded statement and sign something, your claim might be limited by what’s in your statement. Talk to your Coventry car accident attorney before signing anything or giving out a statement.
The claims process can be extremely intimidating if you don’t know what you’re dealing with and have never gone through it. Our skilled Coventry attorneys can handle the entire process for you and make sure you get fairly compensated for your car accident related losses.
Seek Legal Guidance From a Coventry Car Accident Attorney Now
If you’ve been seriously hurt or lost a family member in a car crash, reach out to our Coventry car accident lawyers right away. No matter how serious or minor the crash is, dealing with the aftermath is never easy. While a fair settlement can’t possibly undo the emotional turmoil and physical injuries you had to endure due to the crash, you may be able to recoup compensation which can help you cover your accident-associated damages and expenses.
The individual or entity responsible for you all your damage must be held liable for their negligent actions. The team at Berman & Russo have the necessary resources and experience handling insurance claims and personal injury lawsuits. They can aid in getting you the compensation you require to rebuild your life after a car accident. Call to schedule your free consultation.