Between April 2022 and April 2023, 1,401 car crashes occurred in Hartford. 17 of these crashes involved pedestrians and five involved bicyclists. Injuries cyclists and pedestrians suffer after a vehicle accident can be severe or potentially fatal. People walking on the street or biking are not adequately protected to withstand the impact of a crash. These vulnerable people have the same rights as drivers, but drivers do not always follow the rules.
Many drivers ignore pedestrians and bicyclists. They squeeze cyclists off the street, drive too close to pedestrians and cyclists, lurch out of driveways and parking lots, speed through intersections when people are crossing, and engage in other risky driving maneuvers that can cause serious injuries or death to pedestrians and cyclists.
When a driver engages in dangerous driving practices and injures or kills other road users, they can be held liable for the resulting injuries and losses.
Why Pedestrian And Bicycle Crashes Happen In Hartford
- Driving while distracted – Drivers can be easily distracted while on the road, often by using their cell phones or simply not paying enough attention to their surroundings. When drivers are distracted, for any reason, they can easily crash into a bicyclist or pedestrian.
- Speeding – Speeding drivers will not have enough time to prevent a crash and can kill or severely injure other road users.
- Reckless driving – These include illegal passing, swerving, following other vehicles too closely, not stopping at stop signs and lights, and not giving pedestrians and bicyclists the right of way.
- Confined areas – Sidewalks, parking lots, and driveways are naturally narrower than roadways. There is little space and less time for negligent drivers (especially those speeding) to avoid crashes in these confined areas.
- Driving while drunk or drugged – Aside from being against the law, drunk and drugged driving crashes result in catastrophic injuries and deaths yearly.
- Poor road maintenance or design – Most bicycle and pedestrian crashes occur in intersections with improper maintenance or design, whether due to inadequate or missing road signs, markers, and faulty traffic lights.
Even if a passenger vehicle, motorcycle, van, or truck is moving at a reasonable speed, it can still cause a devastating accident with a pedestrian or bicyclist. Victims can suffer road rash that may lead to burns and infections, head and brain injuries, spinal cord damage, neck injuries, broken bones, back injuries, facial injuries, and psychological trauma. Sometimes, they may die instantly or suffer extremely painful and fatal injuries.
Whatever injuries and related losses you suffered, there are legal options you can explore to secure the compensation you need to recover and move on with your life.
Get Legal Assistance From A Hartford Roadside Lawyer Now
Working with a Hartford roadside lawyer is crucial to holding the negligent driver responsible for their actions and obtaining the necessary resources to recover physically, financially, and emotionally. To arrange your free consultation with a Hartford roadside lawyer, contact Berman & Russo online or by phone at 860-644-1548.